Sunday, September 10, 2006

Turtle on the road


I just picked up my girls from grandma Lois' house (as she watches them while we are at work). Courtney, Sami and I were on the gravel road when we went pass something on the road. I thought was that a turtle. I backed up and sure enough it was. Someone had rode over it and its shell was cracked. It must have just happened because there was bright red blood on it. But it was still alive.
Being the "Wanna be a Vet", I couldn't leave him so I went home and got a shovel, paper plate and water. Hum........is your mind wondering what I did.
We went back to the turtle and his head, arms and legs were out. I took the shovel and paper plate and moved the turtle closer to the edge of the road by the grass. I put the paper plate along side of him and put water on there.
I knew my nieces, Mackenzie and Taylor, have a huge pond and thought that this might be their turtle even though it was a mile and half away from the pond. I went to get them and took them to the turtle. Mackenzie wipe the blood off with water and talked to the turtle (who is still unnamed). We stayed there to wait for Kay, my sister and my nieces mom. When she came, we loaded the turtle in her pickup and took it over to their house.
Mackenzie and Taylor put water in a 5 gallon pail then proceeded to put the turtle in there. The turtle was swimming and doing good.
The next morning Uncle Eric went to see the turtle and it was doing good. So he put it in the big pond. So far so good. Hope the cracked shell will heal.
I took a picture of it on my camera phone. Now I have to figure how to get it
from there to here..........hum............
That was our adventure one day on our way home from Grandma's.
Kim

No comments: